Stephen Ministers are committed Christian people who:
- express God's care through their lives to others
- receive 50 hours of initial training in important caring ministry skills and concepts
- are commissioned as Stephen Ministers after completing their initial training
- visit another person regularly and dependably and offer Christian support and care
- participate in regular support and supervision under the guidance of trained Stephen Leaders
- are committed to preserving the confidential nature of the caring relationship
- serve for at least two years
- receive continuing education and skill building throughout their years of service
Stephen Ministers meet the needs of people:
- the hospitalized
- the terminally ill and their families
- people who move into or out of our community
- those grieving a death or serious loss
- the homebound and institutionalized
- prisoners, ex-offenders and their families
- those with a job crisis
- the aging and elderly
- those with disabilities and their families
- those needing the support of a Christian friend
- those facing life transitions
- the separated or divorced
- households experiencing birth or adoption
- those in spiritual crisis
Stephen Ministry is confidential ministry; those receiving care can be sure that their identity and what goes on in the caring relationship will remain private.
To see a video about Stephen Ministry.
To see a video about Stephen Ministry and Prayer Pager Ministry.
If you are in need of a Stephen Minister, call the church office at 770.345.5969 x552. Please leave a message for a Stephen Minister to call you back.
Hickory Flat Church has 6 prayer pagers used to reach out to people in our congregation going through a crisis or illness of any kind. People are asked to call the pager numbers when they are praying for these specific people to encourage and comfort them. Active pager numbers are listed in the e-news and bulletin.
If you would like to help ensure that this program continues, consider adopting a pager. Each pager costs approximately $9 per month to operate which totals $54 per month for all 6 of the pagers. Just add the note ‘adopt a prayer pager’ in the memo line of your check made out to HFUMC. It will be deposited in the account for prayer pagers and credited to your regular giving. You can adopt a pager for a month, several months or a year. Any amount is greatly appreciated in making this ministry possible.